Thursday, January 13, 2011

First step toward diagnosis

I had my first session, and in a classic case of Deja Vu, I talked about a lot and had my notion of being ADD dismissed. I was being open-minded and free associating at the time, so I let it slide, but hours later, I went from upbeat to angry for letting the progress drift. Again, with my problem focusing, get it? Grr. But it occurred to me this morning in the shower why saying someone who keeps close relationships can't be ADD is absurd. My good friend who has been diagnosed with ADD has been married for 12 years. He taught himself to code in assembly language too, so obviously people with ADD can concentrate on what they really want to sometimes. I need to bring these details up in my next session, among other things.

My wife and I argued, moderately uncomfortably, about what I should do, expect, and consider when it comes to my therapy. I think I decided not to start over just now, after going back and forth on it. I tried to tell her I didn't want to talk about it because I'm too confused and upset, and I wanted to think more about it first instead of vent, at her. I had to say that twice before she really would back off. That made me feel even worse.

After all that, the whole "now what" remains. A few things come to mind, at least to address next time, whether with the same counselor or not:
  • ADD needs to still be a consideration, because multiple problems (not just follow-through) arise from my difficulty CONCENTRATING, and I know someone who is ADD and does not fit her one reason for dismissing it.
  • Communication - I have issues with co-workers and my spouse around it, as well as parents. I come across hostile more than I want to, but I also have assertiveness issues.
  • Procrastination - A prime concern, for work and personal reasons. Probably my central issue, because it involves productivity and credibility.
  • Assertiveness/self-esteem - A legitimate issue. Maybe it has to do with why I didn't push back about having ADD. I doubt myself and my thoughts a lot.
  • Exercize - does my lack of it coincide with my emotional discomfort?
  • Family - I do value my family, but they are a source of discomfort in some ways as well. Besides the awkwardness with my brother, I regret belittling my dad while we share much of the same personality flaws.
  • Need for my own time/activities - This didn't get mentioned and I'd like to find a balance for it, but it might be better addressed in couples therapy.
  • Life-coaching and peer accountability - I'd like to have some context in which I more regularly talk with someone about my goals, brainstorm and experiment with ways to work on them, and share ideas. Maybe I can just start by setting aside time to do that stuff on my own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home