Monday, December 27, 2010

Philosophizing

Just got back from the "real" honeymoon, offline for a whole week. I nearly finished Plato's Republic on the trip, and combined with the general break and relaxing with the missus, I re-evaluated a lot of life and priorities. No huge epiphany, just thinking more along the lines of a simplified life and working on my total health: mental, physical, and social. Yesterday I talked a bit with my mom (and dad weighed in too) about some of the concepts in The Republic, and how it related to what she challenged me to think about their former misbehaving neighbor dilemma. She and I agreed to exchange more literature on the subject, and hope to talk more in the future on matters of the mind. I hope to find others to do the same with, and try to include the missus on that too.

We touched on the topics of procrastination and ADD symptoms, which all 3 of us (myself and parents) have varying struggles with, so maybe we'll support each other in the effort to improve there. I was a bit saddened by my dad's discouragement with his challenges, most of which I share. Looks like we'll be making this a regular topic at their house, right up there with developing the new house and Volkswagen. But I'm going to start with trying to get some kind of clinical assessment through my EAP, if I can just find a provider that talks my language.

I made another list over the vacation, but even that needs revising. I was just trying to see what sort of efforts I have on the table, and need to break it down to what to tackle in the near future, from exercize and marriage skills to money and physical things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home