Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Microwaves

Now, I'm a smart guy and I can usually figure out something electronic. But why don't half the microwaves out there let you press the number buttons for a time and then hit start? You have to select the power somehow (full power, thank you very much), or some kind of reheat/defrost mode, or other such nonsense. 9 times out of 10, I just want to microwave something for a minute or two. Don't make it that complicated to do. I'm hungry and I want something now, that's why I'm using a microwave.

I still haven't figured out this one here at work; I just hit the reheat button and take it out when I think it's done, because the microwave obviously doesn't know. Shame on anyone who buys a microwave that forces you to hit more than one button besides the numbers just to start it. It's just enabling the designers' disease.

Update:
I figured out this crazy Magic Chef. If you press "power", and then just enter a time and press "start", it will cook at full power. Maybe later I'll fiddle around with it more sometime, and figure out how to make the "power" button actually select the power level. The funny part is that there's actually a button on this thing labeled "fish fillet". Yeah, people are gonna use that all the time, put that on there.

Another website suggests that the reason for all the different wierd control panels is patents. Companies selling cheap microwaves just make something new up, instead of having to pay to license someone else's patented design. That's a shame, since patents are declared invalid if the design is "obvious" or has been done before the submitter. I'm sure press-numbers-to-start-a-timer qualifies for one or both. But I guess a lawyer fighting the patent office costs more than a bad button designer, so that's what the corner-cutting cheapo brands do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home